Master of Science in Nursing
We are currently accepting applications for Fall 2014
The deadline for the receipt of all application documents is FEBRUARY 1, 2014
All application materials for acceptance must be received by February 1 for the following fall admission.
The admission requirement for the Graduate Nursing Program are as follows:
- A baccalaureate degree in nursing (BSN) from a nationally accredited school earned prior to applying to the MSN program.
- ALL APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE BSN DEGREE CONFERRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION
- ALL APPLICANTS MUST HAVE a minimum cumulative baccalaureate grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- Satisfactory completion of a course in undergraduate statistics (grade C or better) at the time of application.
- Recommended but not required: one year full-time or two thousand hours of clinical practice as an RN within the last five years.
Instructions for Completing the Application for Graduate Admission
Please note that there are two separate applications required for this program. The Graduate Studies application is the application to USI as a Graduate Student. The Graduate MSN Nursing Application is to the MSN program at the College of Nursing and Health Professions.
- Acceptance to the University of Southern Indiana as a graduate student. This is the application to the University as a Graduate Student and requires a $40 application fee. The Acceptance Committee cannot review your application without verification that you are a student at the University of Southern Indiana. International transcripts must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES).
- Application to the MSN Program. This is the application to the College of Nursing and Health Professions MSN Program. PLEASE DO NOT send the College of Nursing and Health Professions your official university/college transcripts. PLEASE DO NOT send your transcripts c/o Graduate Nursing. All transcripts should be sent to the Office of Graduate Studies. Please contact the office of Graduate Studies for further information.
- Current professional resume
- Submission of an unencumbered RN license(s). As many states no longer provide paper copies of the RN license, a printed version of the online confirmation is acceptable.
- The receipt of two professional references on your behalf. We prefer that the references write a letter of recommendation on letter head however we have created a form that you may provide to your references. The references may be faxed or mailed directly to the College of Nursing and Health Professions, c/o Student Advising Center. A link to the form is provided here.
- Applicants are asked to write a 1-2 page essay on their professional goals. Many previous applicants address the reasons they selected nursing as a career, state their current position(s) in nursing, and conclude with a discussion about what they intend to do with their degree once the MSN is completed.
Send USI application materials to the Office of Admission. Submit MSN application materials electronically to the Student Advising Center at the contact information below. When submitting documents please ensure your name is on each page.