Food & Nutrition
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The College of Nursing and Health Professions offers a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Art degree in Food and Nutrition. Students choosing this degree must specialize in one of the following:
The mission of the Food and Nutrition program is supported by the following goals.
The graduate at the completion of the program will be able to:
- evaluate the role of nutrition in optimizing health throughout the lifecycle and respond to harmful nutrition practices.
- demonstrate knowledge of nutrition as it applies to food service, dietetics and wellness.
- demonstrate the knowledge and ability to apply management principles to nutrition and food service.
- present and evaluate food and nutrition education programs to a variety of audiences.
- assess the role that behavior, economics, and dietary supplements have on planning and eating healthy diets.
- demonstrate basic food preparation and presentation skills.
- apply food science knowledge.
- demonstrate problem-solving skills in food service, dietetics and wellness.
Professional Opportunities / Options
The Food and Nutrition Department prepares students for a variety of positions in the Food and Nutrition field including health care, business and industry, public health, education, research, and private practice.
If interested in more information about the Food and Nutrition Program, contact the Food and Nutrition office at 812-465-1140.